Building on a very successful pilot last year in Guildford, Surrey RFU are creating four regional under-16 “Lions” rugby squads across West Surrey this season. Each Lions squad is formed from a cluster of local state schools, via school nomination, receiving academy style kit and coaching and playing friendly fixtures against each other in early 2013. Support is coming from club and school volunteers with funding from local and national businesses. A programme is being created to support the initiative. With Surrey and RFU support the plan is to widen the scope across Surrey and other Counties next year with the hope of eventually making this a national programme.
- To inspire more state school boys to start playing and keep playing rugby and join local clubs
- To allow state school boys who may not enjoy other sports an avenue to excel – rugby is uniquely suited to all shapes and sizes
- To forge new friendships across school boundaries
- To enable boys to experience some of the latest coaching practices and provide a stepping stone towards County rugby
- To give an opportunity to play floodlit matches.
If you are interested in supporting the initiative in any way please contact Simon Pennock on: firstname.lastname@example.org