International Matters

rhw deal with any number of cases where one of the parties to the family lives abroad and one party lives in England or Wales. This is not an unusual state of affairs and is becoming more common as families become more complex and people travel on a more regular basis.

Getting Married Abroad

What if you got married abroad? It does not matter if the parties are married and the marriage ceremony took place in another country, provided one of the parties lives in England and Wales and they wish to commence divorce proceedings, those proceedings can be started in this jurisdiction and then English Family Law will apply.

We have connections with legal firms in other countries, such as France and America, and have good relations with these firms to assist if need be. So, whether you are an ex-pat or based in the UK we have got the legal team who can help you.

We also represent parents looking to relocate abroad with their children against the wishes of their ex. We also advise on potential child abduction matters putting in place measures to prevent such abductions taking place.

Contact us

For help with international matters call rhw Solicitors in Guildford on 01483 302000 or email

Meet the Family Law Team

Samantha Jago

Member Partner
01483 540 542

Elizabeth Leah

01483 540 555

Bethany Rickerby

01483 540 530

Arjun Sreedaran

01483 302 000

Clive Hogan

01483 540 556

Darren Francis

01483 540 574

Relevant News